Kykuit and Stone Barns afternoon
Nelson Rockefeller commissioned a 2nd teahouse be built in the garden in 1961-62, on the site of the original 1909 teahouse, which was moved further west down the hill to a grove of white pines. This new teahouse was designed by Junzo Yoshimura. It was fabricated in Kyoto and then brought here in the winter of 1961-62, where craftsmen from Japan erected it on site, under a tent. In 1982 the original pressed cedar bark roof was replaced with a copper roof.